Premier Technical Services Group Ltd (PTSG) has completed a specialist electrical services project at Accrington Town Hall.
The building was designed by James F. Green and T. Birtwhistle in the neoclassical style, built in ashlar stone and opened as the “Peel Institute” in 1858. The design involved a symmetrical main frontage with seven bays facing onto Blackburn Road; the central section, which projected forward, featured a porte-cochère supporting a balustrade and a hexastyle portico with Corinthian order columns on the first floor with a pediment above. Internally, the principal room was the assembly hall on the first floor. The assembly hall also accommodated meetings of the local mechanics institute.
A new town square was created in front of the town hall and market hall, to commemorate the lives of the Accrington Pals, in 2017. The scheme involved the removal of a series of trees, which had been planted outside the town hall and market hall in 1962, and the installation of new paving, seating and signage recording the history of the Accrington Pals, Accrington Stanley F.C. and the impact of the Industrial Revolution on the town.
Engineers from PTSG Electrical Services Ltd have completed repairs to the lightning protection system at the facility to ensure it remains fully operational to protect the structure and all users in the event of an electrical storm.