NSS Group, part of PTSG Building Access Specialists Ltd, has completed a specialist access project at Dunderave Castle in Argyll, on the northern shores of Loch Fyne.
The present castle was built after the previous castle was destroyed following a Plague infection. The old castle, and remnants of McNaughton crannógs, can still be seen on the lochan known as the Dubh Loch at the head of Glen Shira.
The name Dunderave is of Gaelic origin. Since the MacNachtans were designated ‘of Dunderave’ from as early as 1473, the place-name appears to have moved with the clan from the Dubh Loch. It has been suggested that the name derives either from Dun-an-Rudha, meaning ‘The Knoll on the Promontory’, or else from Dun-da-Ramh, ‘The Castle of Two Oars’. The latter is taken to imply that there was a ferry near the site of the castle.
The castle was restored and remodelled in 1911 by Sir Robert Lorimer relandscaping the gardens at the same time.
A specialist team from NSS Group provided access hire to a customer wishing to conduct a thorough survey of the castle. Their operator arrived with detailed and prior site knowledge, setting up the recommended machine for the project: a Ruthmann truck-mounted working platform with a 63-metre reach. All areas were safely accessed as a result.